Somewhere between graduation day and attempting to be an "adult," passions fell to the waist side in favor of the mundane 9 to 5 world. It's almost been a year and a half since I made that jump from carefree collegiate to semi-responsible businessman and I probably feel just as lost then as I do now.
I traded late night essays for late night finance spreadsheets, the dreaded Monday morning classes for the unbearable Monday morning meetings, the weekend binge drinking for.... well some things stay exactly the same.
I happily moved to the next phase of my life after graduation and, for the most part, the life I have created for myself parrallels that of my younger years. The only difference is that as I sit in my apartment at 2am listening to John Mayer (just like in college), one "thing" is missing-- that passion.What made college so great was the underlying sense of limitless possibilty. Your young and crazy. You can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Their is no task too large or mountain too high. You are invinceable, walking around campus with an S on your chest because you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that your going to be somebody some day. You WILL have an impact on this planet. The only problem is that once you crossover to the "real world" of shirts and ties, that Superman becomes Clark Kent.
No more cape. No more tights. Just plain old Clark.
In the headiness of semi-adulthood, a lot of us lose our passions, our proverbiable "cape"-- I know I did..... until tonight when I started this blog.
So, I guess what Im trying to say is, dust off YOUR cape. It's probably a lot easier than you think, you just gotta start somewhere....
No comments:
Post a Comment